Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Lost Children of the Alleghenies Monument

In recent days I've spent some time looking at topographic maps of nearby state parks to determine if hiking is a thing I'd like to do again. The terrain here is a bit different than in Ohio. Yes, there were hills in Ohio, but I'm surrounded by mountains where I live now and it's a bit intimidating. They're everywhere. And the last hike I attempted had too many cliffs for my liking, so I'm being a little more cautious.

On the map of Blue Knob State Park I saw something marked "HISTORIC: Lost Cox Children Monument." It did seem like a place in the woods where children could get lost with great ease, but lots of people go missing and they don't get a monument. So, how is this any different?
As it turns out there's a story, a legend, and a Wikipedia article associated with this monument.
It was also close enough to where I live, so I had to go check it out. 

There is a road that goes past the trail leading to the monument, and it's conveniently called "Monument Road." Inconveniently, however, it is gravel, narrow, and the turn-off is kind of tough to spot from the main, paved road running parallel to it. It's deep woods dark, and fallen trees encroach on what width the road does have. There is some space for parking along Monument Road once you get to the correct trail, and the trail is marked.

This is Ciana Run, it's a tributary of Bob's Creek.

It was split in two sections at this point. Lots of rocks and not much water.

After following the trail into the woods for a little bit there was a sign, and a path leading down to the monument.


People have placed fake flowers in the chain link barrier surrounding the monument. Just inside the fencing a couple small fairy or angel figurines sat on the ground in front of the stone. A small stream passes behind the monument. When I was there I crossed the rocks to get to the other bank and crossed back. It's a quiet, peaceful place.

Past the welcome sign, Lost Turkey Trail goes on and on...
Twenty-six miles in total. I didn't walk that one.


The PA-Roots webpage hosts a PDF copy of The Lost Children of The Alleghenies and How They Were Found Through a Dream (1914) by Charles R. McCarthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment